Farba Research sells mostly services. Consulting services, programming services, and product design and development services. We used to have a few software products for sale (many of them requiring customization for your particular application), but now we consider them legacy products and we give them away free. We have never sold hardware products at all.
We deal almost exclusively with x86 embedded systems and Atmel AVR and XMEGA RISC microcontrollers and the Windows Win32 API. We can also handle rare occasions where a customer needs expertise in the legacy PDP11 and VAX arenas.
Even though we are basically a software house, we prefer to employ engineers. Our thinking (and indeed our experience) is that engineers do a much better job of designing and implementing software for embedded systems than do the computer science types. In essence, we have programmers who understand the device being programmed, and that makes all the difference in the world.
Here are some of our main areas of expertise:
- very tight assembly language programming (on any processor)
- very tight but highly readable C language programming (on any system)
- very fast and efficient Win32 API code using straight C
- individual device diagnostics
- device diagnostic test suites
- remote diagnostic managers
- high-speed buffered RS-232 and RS-485 communications
- DOS TSRs
- DOS device drivers
- bootstrap loaders and downline loaders
- manipulation of humongous data in Extended-Real Mode
- custom operating systems (primarily x86 and Atmel AVR)
- device emulation
- device drivers for RSX-11/A systems
- device drivers for RSX-11/M systems
The above list could go on and on, but by now the general idea should be fairly clear. If in doubt about our expertise in your particular problem area, just contact us anyway. We pledge to not sell you services that we aren't sure we can perform. (Please visit our policies page before deciding to do business with us. Thank you.)